Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Having a Daughter

My feelings about having a daughter basically can be summed up in one word:  "Ack!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and happy to have her.  I'm especially excited that my household will soon have one more person who is capable of peeing inside, rather than around, a toilet.  But I feel woefully unprepared to parent her.

I think it's because I was never a girly-girl.  I grew up with two older brothers and a mother who was not into fashion or make up.  I didn't enjoy playing with dolls, but had great fun flying kites, and playing "Alligator Pit" and "Cowboys and Indians" with the boys down the street (this despite the fact that I was always pegged to be the Indian -- rude!).  As I got older, I always had one or two very good girl friends, but I felt most comfortable around boys, and even had my first crush on a boy named Dylan when I was in kindergarten.


What if my daughter is a princess??  I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I've had near anxiety attacks when trying to shop for clothes for my daughter, and unless something changes soon, the poor girl is going to be diaper-clad or nekked until she can pick out her own clothes.  Girl clothes are so...frilly...and froo froo...and time consuming...and uncomfortable looking that I start shopping and then end up buying a t-shirt for Zachary.  And what about the drama?  Or is that just a sexist thought?  Because both of my boys (heck, all three of my boys, The Husband included) can bring on the drama -- could there be even more drama than that?

But much worse than the possibility of a naked child, or one who actually likes that evil Barbie, or tantrums over nothing (because really, I'm used to that by now) is the thought that karma will come and kick me in the butt when she turns into a teenager.  This, my friends, keeps me up at night.  (If my kids are reading this, mommy is only concerned about karma because there was that one time when I was a teenager when I didn't try my best and ended up with a "B" in a class.)  What if she starts liking boys early?  Like, before she's 30?  It doesn't help that she's most certainly destined to be a gorgeous teen, like the brown/white daughters of my sweet friend Robin:

Robin, you say you haven't aged well -- if that's true, THIS is probably why.
There's so much I want for my girl.  I want her to play football AND be the cheerleader.  I want her to be confident but not arrogant.  I want her not to be afraid to show off her brilliance, without "showing off" her brillance.  I want her to have friends, but never feel the need to give into peer pressure.  I want her to be motivated to succeed but willing to be silly.  I want her to be kind and giving and loving and tolerant.  I want her to respect her body.  These are things I want for all of my children; so why do I feel so much more pressure with her than with the boys to make that happen??

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I wrote this same post!!

    http://lesterandtanikadavis.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-having-girl.html

    Seriously, it's like we have the same brain! I have so many thoughts on this, I don't know where to begin. But suffice it to say, I am SO with you on this. I totally feel you. And I have no answers whatsoever. But, at least we'll be going through this together??

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Could you possibly have been the world's cutest child? Ever?? And... I will have you know that I had my first crush in PRE-SCHOOL! Markie was his name. His cot was next to mine in Miss Langley's Nursery School. So I've got to start looking out for karma even earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way when the doctor placed my newborn son on my stomach and I said (Yes I DID!) "Oh, I wanted a girl". How awful is that??? I grew up with girls and had two girls at home already, what was I going to do with a BOY? Then I remembered; "Oh yeah, I'm MARRIED to one!" LOL. We took one day at a time, and that first year he wasn't much different than a baby girl. When he got older, my friends with boys helped me ("You mean he's two years old and he doesn't have a matchbox car???") Okay, I didn't know little boys liked matchbox cars at that age. I learned. And you will also learn all about your little girl as she grows. You will be surprised how quickly your "mom of a little girl" instincts will kick in. And when you need help or have questions, you only need to ask your girly friends (like me) who know how to shop for fru fru clothing that is comfortable and easy to put on, and who know the things a little girl tends to like to play with or the way they tend to act.

    ReplyDelete