Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hospital Detour

On Tuesday, I had my routine appointment with my OB.  Unfortunately, my blood pressure was terribly high, and the doc said that he could not save me from a trip to the hospital.  He authorized a quick trip back home, but told me not to eat anything in case my babies needed to be delivered that day.  He said that if they were not going to be delivered immediately, they would receive steroids to develop their lungs so that they would be better equipped to experience life outside of the womb.  In response to my question about whether there was a chance that I would be able to leave without delivering the babies, he said, "Sure, if your blood pressure is normal and all tests come back fine."  Challenge accepted.

I went home, finally packed my go-bag (check!), and completely disregarded doctor's orders by having lunch.  There was, I reasoned, absolutely no way in hell that my children would be born that day.  My pressure wasn't high enough for me to stroke out, and I was certain that I didn't have preeclampsia because I still had ankles.  Yes, I believe that all other tests are unnecessary.

Surprisingly, my blood pressure at the hospital dropped considerably from the readings that I'd been having the last few days.  Still, my OB would not let me go home without more blood work, the GJOP test, the steroid shots, and some consistently low bp readings, so I was admitted to the high-risk unit.

This stay was significantly better than my last two years ago, when I had a roommate who would not stop throwing up.  This time, the ward's census was low, so I had a room to myself.  Also, instead of getting a set schedule of meals, they had a menu from which I could order whatever and however much of anything I wanted at any time.  Room service!  The worst part was that there was no internet access, which made it so I was unable to work.  But still, that meant that I had really nothing to do except stay in bed, watch tv, eat, read, sleep, and otherwise enjoy the silence.  Turns out that that combination is wonderful for the blood pressure.   For two and a half days in the hospital, my blood pressure was lower than it had been this entire pregnancy, and all tests came back essentially fine.  The possibility of an immediate delivery of my children was taken off the table. And this morning, I was released.

One factor in favor of my discharge that was repeatedly mentioned by the doctors and nurses was that my mom would be here to allow me to continue this hospital-style bedrest.  So I have to take this opportunity to say again, thank goodness for my mom.  When I was in the hospital, I did not worry that Zachary was well cared for.  And now that I'm out, I know that she'll continue to take care of him, and all of us, and the house, because she's superwoman in that way.  I am grateful.

I'm also grateful for the results of the ultrasound I had yesterday at the hospital.  The babies looked great, and at one day shy of 34 weeks, our daughter weighed 4 lbs, 11 oz, and our son weighed 5 lbs, 6 oz.  I had been so worried that my blood pressure issues would restrict their growth that I was just hoping for over 4 lbs.  On the phone with The Husband, he told me that he had also been scared that they wouldn't be over 4 lbs.  We were both overwhelmed that they had grown so well.

When speaking to my doctor this morning, I asked how large the babies needed to be to avoid NICU time.  He said that it wasn't the size, it was the age.  If they can make it to 36 weeks, there's a good chance that they'll come home with me.  So that's the new goal.  Only two more weeks.  I'm going to be a good girl.  I will no doubt whine about the incredible rib pain while lying on my side and the boredom of being confined to bed, but I will do what I have to do to keep my blood pressure low and these kids cooking until 36 weeks or later.  Let's hope it works.

1 comment:

  1. Whining is totally acceptable. Moving around, however, is not! So whine on your back, sister. And try, try, try to enjoy it. Because once your chubby babies get here (in 2 weeks or more!) you will not remember what the prone position ever felt like. Trust.

    ReplyDelete