Friday, November 16, 2012

Now we're getting somewhere...

For a long time now, there have been things I've wanted to do for myself, but hadn't.  Some were simple things like "read more," or run, or, um, take a shower.  I was too busy, too tired, too pregnant, too poor, too scared, too blah blah blah to do anything but keep them silly little interests that I would think about indulging if I was wealthier, had more time, got skinnier, grew some huevos, and if there wasn't a rerun of How I Met Your Mother on tv that I hadn't seen more than five times.

Then things happened:  I spoke to an old friend -- a father of young, twin girls -- who is living with ALS; my cousin passed away from cancer; two weeks later my husband's uncle passed away from cancer; and I read your blogs, blogs of women who are living their lives and not making excuses.

In the wake of that, how dare I not pick up a book, or pick up my feet (or take a shower, for that matter)? 

It might not sound like much, but here are some of the things I want to do.

(1) Read more.  I used to devour books.  Nothing too cerebral (although, I do love a good book on reaching financial goals), but not young adult lit either.  Bonus points if it makes me laugh.  I picked up Mindy Kaling's book last week and was ripping through it, feeling almost...relief?..to be able to consume words that are not connected to a legal brief.  But now I don't want to finish it because I have nothing lined up to read after it.  So help me!  What have you read lately that you've loved, that you couldn't put down?

(2) Exercise.  Dieting is only getting me so far.  As fascinating as post-partum belly jiggle is -- and trust me, it's fascinating -- I wouldn't be sad if I had to focus on something else.  I ran once, a couple days ago, and my body reminded me that I'm old.  But I'm going to do it again, if for no other reason than because I can.  I've also talked Roar and the Husband into joining me for a Warrior Dash next year.  I know it's not for a while, but I've never been able to run, and I basically have been sitting on my butt for the last year and a half. Now I have an excuse to train.

(3) Improve my photography.  Here's where it's getting really fun (okay, yes, the reading is fun, but this is really, really fun).  I signed up for a photography class.  It's been two weeks, and I've already gotten so much out of it.  My favorite thing so far?  Being able to take indoor shots at night without the flash.  Lookie!

I find Samantha's thumb sucking to be adorable and frightening; frightening because I only quit sucking my thumb recently, like, last year or something.  So sometimes I tell her to stop.  She doesn't listen.
Zachary's absolute love of salads is super awesome, except when he steals mine like he's doing here.
Really, this boy loves him some salad.
"Is there more?"  Seriously, he wanted to know.
Yeah, I don't even know what to say.
So there is some of it.  And there's more!  But I'm taking baby steps.  I don't know exactly where I'm going to go, but I do know that I'm not going to stand still anymore.


3 comments:

  1. Good for you, doing things for yourself. I think we need do things for ourselves to be good parents!

    On the book front, I always tell people join GoodReads. It lets you see what your friends are reading and you can mark things as to-read when it strikes your fancy. They even have a free iphone app. My email over there is lverhoff at hotmail. I've read 72ish books this year.

    I listened to Mindy's book on audio and really enjoyed it that way. PS. my library has free audiobooks that I can download to my ipod without ever leaving home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really proud of you for taking that first step toward your goals. I don't have a lot of advice -- you know I'm a total slacker when it comes to just about every darn thing -- but I have found that it helps to write down the things you want to do, so you can actually get them out of your head out into the world. It adds a measure of accountability, and even more than a measure if you list them publicly (like you did on this blog!) So you have taken an important step, in my opinion. And it reminds me that I have a big thing I have wanted to do for a really long time that I refuse to blog about -- probably because I'm not ready to be held accountable for it. P.S. My kids eat the veggies out of salad and spit out the leafy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go you!!!! Yes, ITA with Ms Inspiring Laura re: doing things for ourselves.

    And yes to writing stuff down, just to crystallize it for yourself too. Sometimes I write stuff down, and then realize no, it's really not something I want to put effort into. It makes me think about stuff.

    I'm also working on photography so email me via my blog if you want to chat or something. What class are you taking?

    Also, I really really really need to get back to some kind of exercise even if it's just walking. At 8 weeks post-partum I don't have an excuse anymore.

    After Mindy Kaling's book, I read Tina Fey's Bossypants and liked that a lot too.

    Try the fiction by Marisa de Los Santos. I really, really liked those. She writes beautifully, but the stories are also relatable.

    ReplyDelete