Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Losing weight

(Hi Karen and Candice!)

A few weeks ago, I said that I started at Physician's Weight Loss Centers.  I've lost three pounds to date.  Yep, I'm one Chipotle burrito away from my starting weight.  To be fair, after the first week, I pretty much said, "%!#$! this, I need chocolate."  Here's why: I had been given a short list of allowable foods, and the list did not account for the fact that I'm a pescetarian, so the list was even more limited for me.  From that list, I was allowed 1000 calories per day.  And there was no mention of exercise which I think is crucial (not that I've been doing it, but that's not the point).  I might've been more successful had I paid more attention to my nurse/saleswoman's explanation of why I should starve every day for the next four months (seriously, that's how long this was supposed to go on), but after she advised me that all carbs are bad, I started mentally preparing my defense for slapping the woman.

Put in simple terms, this is how the diet has worked out for me:

7 days of dieting with everything off limits + the thought of 3 more months and 3 weeks of the same + my mother's extra hands to take care of babies =

Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada Dipping Sauce
 +
Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
So I'm giving up on Physician's Weight Loss and going for something a little more sane:  Five Factor Fitness.  It's a very workable diet with a built-in cheat day.  It also has a good exercise plan that doesn't take more than 30 minutes or so five days per week.  Even I can find 30 minutes.  When I did this 5-week plan before, it got my stomach looking awwwwwesome.  Anyone want to join me??

In the meantime:

Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada Dipping Sauce
2 lbs extra large shrimp, tail on
1/2 pkg sweetened coconut flakes
Batter:
3/4 cup flour
2 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
3/4 cup water
 Dip:
1/4 - 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (preferably Greek)
1/4 cup pina colada drink mix (I used Bacardi concentrated mix from the freezer section)
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
2 Tbs sugar

Butterfly the shrimp.  Prepare the batter by combining all ingredients except for the coconut, and let rest 5 minutes.  Coat the shrimp with the batter, then roll in coconut.  Drop into a deep fryer set to 350 degrees and cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes).  Prepare the dip by combining all ingredients.

Btw, you can make some awesome onion rings if you take the sugar out of the batter and add instead 1 heaping tsp of garlic powder.  So good!

Cocolate Chocolate Cookies
These were just...eh (not that it stopped me from eating 2 or 7).  I'll tweak the recipe and get back to you.

2 comments:

  1. (who, me? hi!).

    This is a very timely post for me, as I watch my Paula Radcliffe-worthy post-natal fitness goals fade under a haze of too much ice cream and too little running. And for a new twin mum, I personally think you should be doing whatever makes you feel good/helps you get by, whether that is a chocolate indulgence or a bit of exercise (but that outlook could explain why my jelly belly is still going strong). Anyway, I salute your resolve, and will use it to motivate me to, yes, get out of bed to do a morning run, no matter what the previous night has been like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! I was surprised to see my name.

    I would join you, but only in sampling the shrimp and cookies. Looking forward to the cookie recipe. I choose to diet/loose weight by complaining, but otherwise doing absolutely nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete