Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Back at work

My maternity leave officially ended on Monday.  I went into my office that day, but I didn't experience that returning-to-work anxiety that I did the last time my maternity leave ended.  While I missed my babies, I also really loved taking in the DC scenery on the short walk from the Metro to work and chatting with my boss and coworkers.  And although there wasn't much of it, I also enjoyed working.  I felt very lucky to have such a great job in this economy.

Things were a little different, however, because my senior attorney position also ended on Monday.  I knew my replacement -- had recommended her to my judge in fact -- so it was nice to see her as well.  I felt good about stepping down, and about being able to hand over some tasks that I didn't like to do.  I felt so at ease that I surprised myself by creating this awkward moment:

Replacement:  So, when will you be coming into the office?
Me:  Just one day per week.
Replacement:  Oh, that's great!  I thought you'd have to come in more.
Me:  No, that's why you have my job.
...
(chirp chirp)

Oh well.  I guess I'm not completely okay with the change.  I hope she fails miserably.

3 comments:

  1. No you don't. You just hope you succeed at something else that you like much better AND that, although she does a fine job, no one likes her or her work as much as they liked you and yours.
    There's distinction. Hoping she fails is just hateration and unbecoming a woman of your beauty, grace and good fortune. The latter, which I just laid out, is fact. And perfectly fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duuude, I knew I should've ended that last statement with a smiley face! Of course I don't want her to fail. I just want to be irreplaceable.

      Delete
  2. Yes you take the high road. I will hope she fails miserable for you...

    No one can judge me harshly cause I don't personally know the lady!

    ReplyDelete