Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Monday night on the town

Last week, I received an invitation to attend a National Geographic screening of an episode about POWs,  including a Q&A with Senator John McCain and Ernie Brace.   Given that my parents had to go back home, we didn't have a night time babysitter, so the Husband -- who would've loved it -- would be unable to be my plus one.

LUA_McCainBrace_Invitation April 15-4 copy

But Roar has inherited his father's interest in history.  When I broached the subject of going to the screening, I was just hoping that he wouldn't say "no" to a night hanging out with me.  But he actually said, "That sounds cool."  I can't tell you how ridiculously pleased I was to be the recipient of such teenage enthusiasm.  

So last night, we made the trek to DC for a Monday night on the town, both of us looking dashing in somewhat ill-fitting suits (his was a little large, mine was small (and more than just a little -- trying mine on, I started singing "Fat girl in a little coat...")). 

The ride in was fun.

 

So was our pre-event dinner at the illustrious Potbelly where we snarfed down sandwiches and milkshakes.


When we arrived, the schedule was off.  We speculated that it was because of the alerts in DC and the explosions in Boston.  But they had set up food and open bars, and for the next hour, we mingled.  It was interesting watching Roar next to me, looking like a grown-up, and attempting to participate in grown-up conversations.  My little guy.  And when, for no good reason, he dropped into a conversation that I was a lawyer, it occurred to me that he might be proud of what I do.

So I had to embarrass him by taking a picture with my hot pink phone.  I even made him carry it for a bit.  It was the only logical thing to do.


When the Q&A started, we were both riveted.  What Senator McCain and Mr. Brace went through in Vietnam is unimaginable.  Regardless of your politics, I hope you appreciate that they were -- and are -- brave, resilient, patriotic heroes, and appear to be genuinely nice men.  In the end, I think Roar was enriched in many ways by being there.


Special thanks to the Husband who made our outing possible.  He single-handedly (and without complaint, I might add) fed and bathed 3 children, took them on a trip to CVS to pick up the babies' prescriptions (they both have sinus infections!), read stories, put babies to bed, played with Zachary and put him to bed, and then cleaned up.  This morning, Zachary was telling me that his daddy had found one of his balls outside, and had cleaned it up for him.  I told him that I'm pretty sure his daddy loves him.  He said, "Yep, my daddy loves me a lot."  Good daddy.

Thank you God, Universe, Whatever.  Thank you for all of this.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely evening, and so nice you got some 1:1 time with your Big Guy. And OMG, 2 babies with sinus infections *and* putting them all to bed? Nice job, Daddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you took secret photos of Roar - while driving.
    You're the best.
    Also -- two babies with sinus infections? Geesh! You are a brave, resilient hero for dealing with all that. And Rory is too!

    ReplyDelete