Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Obsessed

I admit it:  I am obsessed.  Ever since I committed to improving my photography skills, I've been spending almost all of my free time learning things I can do to become a better photographer.  It's crept into my day job, where I'll be writing a judicial opinion, and I'll stop mid-sentence to see if I can figure out how to solve my focusing problems.  I see the irony in that.  I do.

I've stopped blogging about the really important things -- the things I need to document, such as the many things that happened while my parents were here (that's coming tomorrow, I hope) -- and spending that time watching online tutorials about Photoshop.

I've taken so many pictures of my children that Zachary runs away screaming "Noooo!  I'm running away from mommy!" when he sees me holding a camera now.  No joke.

Running away from mommy

The babies, however, are not yet annoyed, so they bear the brunt of this obsession.  And Roar too, now that I think of it, because he's been acting as my production assistant.

My production assistant

But it's so fun to see how I'm progressing.  In fact, I couldn't wait until closer to the holidays to show you Samantha and Conor's Christmas photos.  Want to see?  Too bad if you don't -- you've read this far, and I'm going to suck you into this too.

My silly Samantha:

Samantha Christmas

My sweet Conor:

Conor Christmas

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Love it!!!

    I'm going to throw you assvice out the yin yang now. For focusing, I set my focus point to my center point bc that is the most reliable on Canons. Most of the time, I focus and recompose. I focus on the eyes because if they are not in focus, it ruins the whole shot.

    With photo of Conor, you could bump up the exposure one stop and that would help even out his skin tone on his arms. But the picture is so great that who cares about the arms??? You're not even looking there.

    Also for Zachary, I am not above bribing my kids for photos. The one of them in their pjs on the beach? Courtesy of Hershey's kisses in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! What a great job! And in such a short period of time. Wow. I am impressed. And jealous that I never did get the camera I wanted to get way back a million years ago when I started this blog. (In case you didn't know, being jealous of your friends is a good thing when it comes to skill-development, because it gives you inspiration to get off your butt and do something! Not saying I'm going to do that, though. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.)
    P.S. "Noooo, I'm running away from Mommy!" Ha! I can totally hear him saying that, because I have one who does the same thing to me about anything I want him to do. Ever. :-)
    P.P.S. So glad you have Laura C. to help you! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG these are gorgeous!! Love the lights behind them - what a cool effect. Rock. On.

    If you ever use Lightroom, there are AWESOME videos on adobe.com for that as well. I've been making my way through those.

    ReplyDelete