Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

Looking back, we had all that we could ask for in 2012:  Healthy families, good jobs, two beautiful additions to the family, the Husband's master's degree, and save for the time I got on the train without a validated ticket, none of us were caught doing anything illegal.

Despite its auspicious beginnings (three sick kids -- four if you count the Husband -- and less than 2 hours of sleep last night for me), I have an inkling that this year is going to be even better.  After years of shunning the tradition, I'm making resolutions, or at least daring to dream.  Here's what's on my list:

(1) Lose the baby weight.  Fer real.  I know everyone makes this resolution, but what makes me different than everyone else is that I mean it. No, I really mean it.

(2) Become indispensable at work.  I like my job, and I am lucky to have it.  Not many people can do what I'm going to do today, and that is tell my boss that I'm going to nap on the couch in his office.  I am happiest when I feel like I've earned that right, so I resolve to spend less time coasting, and more time giving it 100%.  That will allow me to shut off my computer and not think about my day job anymore when quitting time comes. 

(3) Dream big.  I did it - I signed up for Mondo Beyondo.  After hearing the rave reviews, I'm open to and excited about learning how to live this life to the fullest.  I'll review the class when I'm done. 

(4) More, more, more photography stuff!  I've told you that I'm obsessed.  The truth is that I've just rekindled a passion I've had for a very long time, ever since I was a photographer at a portrait studio in high school.  I was one class shy of a photography minor in college, but didn't want to force my art to fit random assignment deadlines (read: I was lazy).  I thought this knowledge didn't transfer to the digital media, but the truth is that I hadn't taken the time to see if it did.  So I resolve to learn more (I'm taking another class this month), practice more, and ultimately take a page from the oh-so-inspiring-and-talented Laura Case, and start a business so I can take gorgeous portraits that people will cherish forever.  Until I get to that point, I've already started setting up lots of free photo shoots so I can work on my technique and develop my own style.  I forced sister-in-law Sarah and my nieces into being the subjects of my first photo shoot over the weekend.  I think they turned out pretty well, and it definitely helped me get a feel for what I need to work on and what I want my style to be.  I want it to be

Traditional:


DSC_0032

DSC_0049

Colorful:
DSC_0061

And crazy:
DSC_0064

DSC_0147

This is going to be a good year!!  I have the same wishes for you as I do for my family:  I wish you good health, wealth, happiness, and that you don't get caught doing anything illegal.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Loving all the photos! And love even more that you signed up for Mondo. Can't wait to see how the process unfolds for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are amaaaaaaaazing. Check you OUT, girl!! I am impressed. Really. And proud of you! I can't wait to be the subject of a free photo practice shoot. Matter fact, let's talk about Clair's 1st birthday coming up on Feb. 16! ACK! FIRST BIRTHDAY! Ack!
    P.S. I love, love, love seeing how well you're doing with the photography, but please know that a post without Zachary, Conor or Samantha is always going to be a B+ at best for me. Sorry. If you want the A, bring the babies. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! I can't wait to read what you think of Mondo, too! I need to go back and update my list of dreams.

    LOVE the photos. Your niece is gorgeous! We'd happily be your models if you need anyone else to practice on (and you find yourself in Seattle...)

    Hooray for Big Dreams.

    ReplyDelete